End of Life Care
Every year Salisbury District Hospital provides end of life care to over 700 people. The Stars Appeal works with the End of Life Care nurse specialists and the Hospital Palliative Care Team to support these patients and their loved ones during this difficult time.
How the Stars appeal makes a difference:
- Funding bespoke cotton tote property bags so that personal belongings can be returned to families with dignity and compassion
- Provision of advice and support leaflets to bereaved relatives including signposting to local bereavement support organisations
- Maintenance of tranquil gardens and outdoor spaces where staff can take even very ill patients, and relatives and staff can spend time away from the hospital environment
- Funding hospital chaplains who provide support to patients receiving end of life care and their loved ones
- Printing of bespoke condolence cards sent by wards to bereaved families
- Storage for ice pops and sorbets for patients no longer able to eat and drink
- Free TV cards for patients receiving end of life care.
- We are currently fundraising a purpose built family room in which sensitive conversations can be held in private. It will also enable the End of Life Care Nurse Specialists to be located centrally in the hospital.