£125,000 pledged at Walk for Wards 2016
We’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone who supported Walk for Wards on Sunday.
We were absolutely thrilled to welcome record numbers to Wilton House, the home of our President Lord Pembroke and delighted that the 2181 walkers who registered pledged an estimated £125,000!
And to be joined by Formula 1 legend Murray Walker and Nick Jenkins from Dragons’ Den to start the Walk in the great British sunshine made for day that all of us at the Hospital will remember fondly for a very long time to come.
Most importantly, the funds raised by walkers and their hugely generous sponsors will change lives locally. Some of the money will be directed by walkers towards specific wards and departments, where the senior Doctors and Ward Sisters will use it to enhance care for the patients they care for by funding extra support, improvements to the patient environment, state-of-the art equipment and specialist education and training above and beyond that which the NHS provides. In addition, it will help the Stars Appeal continue to fund a portfolio of ongoing projects around the Hospital. For example, money raised by Walkers will help to:
- Care for children in a modern, friendly children’s ward.
- Treat heart patients locally.
- Provide cancer patients with aromatherapy and support groups, and treat breast patients in a brand new Breast Unit.
- Treat premature babies using the latest equipment.
- Help people recovering from serious injuries on the Hospital’s Spinal Unit to regain their independence.
- Enable Hospital Chaplains to support those in crisis.
- Provide dedicated accommodation for parents whose children are critically ill.
- Support bereaved families with specialist staff in dignified bereavement suites.
- Re-equip stroke patients with lost skills, using the latest rehabilitation aids.
- Look after older people with tailored programmes of support and entertainment.
- Provide free Wi-Fi for all patients.
We are all very touched, humbled and grateful to receive this level of support from our local community and to have seen and heard the many reasons people had for taking part and supporting the Stars Appeal was truly inspirational.
There are photos, links to reports on Spire FM and the Salisbury Journal websites and list of the many people and organisations we’d who helped to make the day possible below. Please do take a look, but for now, thank you once again for everyone’s marvellous support!
With love from all the team of staff and volunteers at Stars HQ x
Salisbury Journal Coverage: http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/14597560.Record_numbers_turn_out_for_Walk_for_Wards_raising___125k/
A million thank yous…
Our hosts Lord and Lady Pembroke
Principal Sponsors Salisbury Reds
Route markers and Marshals Wilton Rotary Club
And many, many others including:
Nick Jenkins, Murray walker, Stars Appeal Volunteers, Spire FM, Salisbury Journal, John Rose Photography, Unstuck design, St John Ambulance, Wilton Wholefoods, Country Coolers, 3663, Wilton Wholefoods, Old Stables Britford, Booker, Tesco Shaftesbury, Salisbury Hospital Catering Team, Darren Lotz, My Trusty, Katie Shields, Radiquip Media Services, Austin & Wyatt Salisbury Scouts, our fantastic entertainers ‘Off the Cuff’ and Ian Curr and, of course, EVERYONE who took part, sponsored someone and helped to spread the word…. you are what makes Walk for Wards possible!
Thank you all so much – your support will directly benefit thousands of local people being treated at Salisbury District Hospital